From: Pete Gavin <pete@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] grub problem
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2001 11:42:17
1 On Mon, Feb 05, 2001 at 06:16:51PM -0000, Abhishek Kumar wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 > I installed Gentoo Linux a few days ago on my WinME, and NT system and now my computer is almost unusable because of a stupid mistake I made. Installing from floppy, I think I installed grub on the (hd0,0) instead of (hd0). HD0, 0 is the WinME partition. As a result, it has overwritten the NT Loader which used to boot WinME and NT. Now I can boot Gentoo, but not the other OSes. I tried to install grub again on the (hd0,0) but now it refuses to do it.My question is, is there any way of getting the installation back without reinstalling NT?
4
5 Sorry, I can't really help you with this, since I don't know much of
6 anything about WinNT. But, I would guess that there is a way to install
7 the bootloader over again, unless microsoft is stupider than I
8 thought... But next time, install the grub to (hd0), and grub will be
9 your default bootloader; then you can add an entry to menu.lst which
10 points to the winnt bootloader partition, and you'll get the winnt boot
11 menu.
12
13 > Also, I am unable to decompress the stuff in the packages directory on the CD as they seem to be corrupt. Did nobody else come across this? I got the rc4_pre2 cd a couple of days after it was released.
14 > I hope I was able to explain my situation. I will appreciate your help.
15
16 The packages are all tbz2 files, which means they are compressed w/
17 bzip2. You should use tar xjf rather than tar xzf to decompress them;
18 if you're just trying to install the packages, use portage-merge
19 <packagename>.tbz2 instead.
20
21 Pete
22 <pete@g.o>