From: Roy Bamford <neddyseagoon@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo World Domination. a 10 step guide
Date: Thu, 05 Oct 2006 23:49:23
1 On 2006.10.04 13:15, Brandon Low wrote:
2 > As usual, sweeping new policies or procedures WILL NOT FIX THINGS.
5 [snip]
6 > --Brandon
7
8 Since I have been a Gentoo user, there have been two completely
9 different management styles in use. When drobbins was around, he was
10 like the MD and Gentoo was managed as if it were a single project.
11 Since that time, Gentoo has grown into a loose knit collection of
12 smaller projects all doing their own thing. Higher level collaboration
13 must be happening because releng relay on all the bits coming together
14 but its not much in evidence.
15
16 There are two options for Gentoo. We can add some reporting and control
17 to make Gentoo appear as a single cohesive project, the price for that
18 is some bureaucracy. Or we can continue management by tribal warfare,
19 as is evidenced by the flame fests on this list.
20
21 Both take about the same amount of effort from the participants.
22 What we lack to manage Gentoo as a single project is a proactive
23 management body.
24
25 Regards,
26