From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: New license: yEd Software License Agreement
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2012 05:28:33
1 Alec Warner posted on Sat, 28 Apr 2012 11:53:03 -0700 as excerpted:
2
3 > On Fri, Apr 27, 2012 at 12:02 PM, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
4
5 >> I'd argue that it is impossible to "accept a license" in the
6 >> first place.  It is possible to agree to a contract if there is
7 >> consideration on both sides and a meeting of the minds.
8 >
9 > That doesn't mean you didn't / cannot accept, merely that some (all?)
10 > provisions are likely unenforceable in a court of law. I don't think
11 > EULAs have been ruled illegal yet.
12 >
13 >> Copyright says you can't copy something.  A license says you might be
14 >> able to.  You don't have to "accept" a license to benefit it.  A
15 >> license does not restrict what a user can do, it restricts what the
16 >> person issuing the license can do (I can't sue you for redistributing
17 >> my code if I licensed it to you under the GPL).  Some licenses are
18 >> conditional - I only limit my own ability to sue you if you give people
19 >> a copy of the source for any binary you give them, and if you don't do
20 >> that I am now free to sue you.
21 >
22 > Have you read the yEd license? I mean it does restrict what users can
23 > do:
24
25 > "The Software may not be used as part of an automated process. The
26 > Licensee may not reverse engineer, disassemble, decompile, or unjar
27 > the Software, or otherwise attempt to derive the source code of the
28 > Software."
29 >
30 > How is that not restricting what the end user can do?
31
32 I believe he's viewing it in the context many explanations of the the GPL
33 take pains to explain, namely:
34
35 Since copyright law prohibits copying (and in some cases, reading into
36 computer memory for purposes of execution has been held to be copying in
37 the context of copyright as well!!) without permission in the first
38 place, it is as rich0 says, COPYRIGHT law that default-forbids doing
39 anything at all with that string of binary data that happens to form the
40 software.
41
42 As rich0 further points out, licenses modify that default-no state to
43 allow the user some privileges they'd otherwise be denied by copyright
44 law. Many of them, including the GNU General Public License (GPL) and
45 the yEd license, do so conditionally. They allow the privileges IF AND
46 ONLY IF certain conditions are met.
47
48 In the case of the GPL, these conditions, only apply to distributors,
49 mere end-users are free and clear of all such conditions as long as they
50 don't redistribute to others. Further, the conditions on distributors
51 are designed to ensure that end users of any derived programs get the
52 same rights from the folks that distribute it to them.
53
54 In the case of most EULAs including the yEd license, by contrast,
55 distribution is simply reserved as a right to the owning company
56 (separate agreements are needed for distribution rights), and permission
57 to copy and use the work under copyright is granted to the end-user only
58 under rather severe conditions. But from the viewpoint of copyright,
59 it's simply an agreement by the owner to give you permission to copy and
60 use under certain stated conditions, thus limiting their right to sue,
61 but only to the extent that you're in compliance with the (in the case of
62 most EULAs, conditional to an extreme) license (which is itself limited
63 by laws that grant various "fair use" rights that differ by jurisdiction).
64
65 Thus, by this view, a EULA isn't limiting to the user, because all it's
66 doing is granting (perhaps conditional) rights that would otherwise be
67 reserved to the copyright owner only, under copyright law. Someone can
68 thus choose not to be subject to the license, or simply to ignore it
69 entirely. That's fine as long as they aren't doing something that
70 copyright says they can be sued for. But if they are doing something
71 copyright says they could be sued for, and they draw the attention of the
72 owner and/or their legal representatives, then to the extent that the
73 license allows it, it's in their interest to claim the legal coverage of
74 the license to prevent being sued by that owner/owner-representative.
75
76 Which is what makes relatively liberal licenses such as the GPL so
77 strong. Since they allow so much, with relatively light conditions, it's
78 very strongly in the interest of parties who might otherwise be sued to
79 comply with the GPL instead. With rather more restrictive EULAs, not so
80 much, since the EULA has such strict conditions. In that case, it's far
81 harder to comply with and far more likely that a copyright violator will
82 be violating the EULA's conditions as well, so claiming the protections
83 of the license doesn't tend to help as much, except to the extent that
84 there really is a disagreement about the conditions of said license.
89 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman