From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: noarch keyword
Date: Sat, 21 Mar 2020 18:57:35
1 On Sat, Mar 21, 2020 at 11:22:40AM -0700, Alec Warner wrote:
2 > On Sat, Mar 21, 2020 at 1:03 AM Alexander Tsoy <alexander@××××.me> wrote:
3 >
4 > > В Сб, 21/03/2020 в 00:53 -0700, Matt Turner пишет:
5 > > > On Fri, Mar 20, 2020 at 9:55 PM Kent Fredric <kentnl@g.o>
6 > > > wrote:
7 > > > > If X is "noarch" and its dependency Y is "amd64", then a user on
8 > > > > "sparc"
9 > > > > will be able to install "X", but not its dependency "Y".
10 > > >
11 > > > Thank you. This is a good explanation of the problem.
12 > > >
13 > > > How do other distributions handle this? Arch, Fedora, and Debian have
14 > > > "noarch" packages. Surely they've found a reasonable way to make this
15 > > > work.
16 > >
17 > > Binary distros usually have separate repositories for each
18 > > architecture.
21 > Pretty much this. There is not 1 repository, there are N. This means that
22 > if leaf package A "noarch" depends on package B (only stable on x86) then
23 > in the x86 tree, A and B will be available. In the sparc tree, B is not
24 > available and so A is uninstallable and also not available.
25 >
26 > We had discussed doing this in the past but in practice we use a bunch of
27 > files to compute these boundaries on the fly and this is not particularly
28 > cheap in the current implementation.
29
30 This part of the thread has been the best explanation I've seen for why
31 this couldn't work for us, so I'm cool with this.
32
33 Thanks,
34
35 William