From: Nathan Zachary <nathanzachary@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [Gentoo Phoenix] recruitment process
Date: Mon, 05 Apr 2010 18:51:27
1 On 05/04/10 11:07, Jon Portnoy wrote:
2 > On Mon, Apr 05, 2010 at 08:50:49AM +0300, Eray Aslan wrote:
3 >
4 >> Just replying randomly.
5 >>
6 >> On 05.04.2010 04:33, Tobias Heinlein wrote:
7 >>
8 >>> I think this is a good starting point to get rid of the "some important
9 >>> questions are too hard to answer" dilemma that can be implemented
10 >>> relatively fast. On top of that I like Sebastian's idea to order the
11 >>> quizzes by difficulty -- this means just ordering by the categories I
12 >>> just mentioned would be sufficient: 1 first, then 2, then 3.
13 >>>
14 >> I am not against this idea but frankly, I do not understand what is so
15 >> demotivating about the ebuild quiz. If you get demotivated because of a
16 >> single exam, perhaps the problem is with the motivation and not with the
17 >> exam itself. I took the published quiz just for the fun of it and to
18 >> see where I missed. It is not that long.
21 > Agreed...
22 >
23 > I've been following this discussion with mixed feelings. When we
24 > originally began using the quiz system the idea was simply to try
25 > to force new developers to RTFM -- and I was not such a fan of the
26 > entire concept (as I recall, the quizzes were a "suggestion" from Daniel).
27 >
28 > As it turns out, the quiz system has repeatedly proven itself useful
29 > in another way: developers who whine/bitch/moan and are hesitant to
30 > even attempt to complete the quizzes often turn out to be bitchy,
31 > unmotivated, or unpleasant developers. I don't want to name any names,
32 > but I've seen this often.
33 >
34 > IMO, those "boring" "too much like high school" quizzes serve one
35 > extremely valuable function: finding out up front who's a team player
36 > (or at least willing to do something mildly unpleasant for the
37 > Greater Good)
38 >
39 > If that's causing potential devs to drop out... perhaps the system is
40 > working as it should? :)
43 My problem with the quizzes is not that they have to be done, but rather
44 the way they are structured. I have read through the dev manual (which
45 is excellent in explaining some things, and a little rough in others),
46 but it would be much more enlightening to me to work on creating ebuilds
47 while working one-on-one with a mentor. For instance, in a recent
48 ebuild I wrote, the application installed successfully but yielded
49 sandbox errors. By jumping on IRC and chatting with a few people, I
50 readily found a solution to that problem. Later, it was brought to my
51 attention that there were other problems with the ebuild. I would have
52 never known about these issues solely from the information presented in
53 the devmanual. Therefore, I think the most valuable aspect of the
54 recruitment process is "hands-on" time with ebuilds, commits, et cetera
55 WHILE working with a mentor.
56
57 --Zach