From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>, licenses@g.o, qa <qa@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Solving the problem of huge number of wrong LICENSES=*GPL-[23]
Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2018 15:51:06
1 >>>>> On Sun, 26 Aug 2018, Michał Górny wrote:
2
3 > 1. introducing additional *-only licenses that explicitly indicate
4 > that a newer version is not allowed, e.g. GPL-2-only, LGPL-3-only etc.
5
6 I don't like this at all, because LICENSE="GPL-2" means exactly the
7 above, namely GPL version 2, no later version. Therefore, "GPL-2-only"
8 would be completely redundant to it.
9
10 What we could do (and what already exists in several ebuilds) is to add
11 a *comment* to the LICENSE line, like "# GPL-2 only". This could be
12 required for every new ebuild.
13
14 > 2. annotating the unsuffixed licenses with a warning that they may
15 > mean either x-only or x+ due to frequent mistake.
16
17 I don't think that's a good idea either. Also we're not allowed to
18 change the license documents:
19 "Everyone is permitted to copy and distribute verbatim copies
20 of this license document, but changing it is not allowed."
21
22 > 3. make repoman warn whenever non-specific variant is used, telling
23 > developers to verify whether it's x-only or x+.
24
25 Repoman could check for a comment in the LICENSE line as well, I guess?
26
27 > 4. start migrating packages to x-only or x+ appropriately.
28
29 See above. We could instead migrate ebuilds with "GPL-2" to either:
30 LICENSE="GPL-2+"
31 or:
32 LICENSE="GPL-2" # GPL-2 only
33
34 Optionally, the comment can be removed once all ebuilds have been
35 converted.
36
37 > 5. eventually, remove the non-specific licenses and make repoman error
38 > out with clear explanation.
39
40 Ulrich