From: Nicholas Jones <carpaski@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Portage 2.0.51 comments/questions
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2004 08:31:50
1 > 1) The new "spinner" is /very/ cool!
2
3 It's been moved to FEATURES="candy"
4
5 I was bored while testing NFS locks and whipped that up. Genone has
6 a multi-character version somewhere. We'll make it prettier later.
7
8 I also modified the regular spinner, but nobody watches that one
9 close enough to actually notice.
10
11 --nospinner got updated as well. It now displays 100 updates in a
12 '.' that gets printed out instead of nothing.
15 > 2) Documentation is coming alone nicely.
16 ...
17 > /etc/portage/profiles/virtuals [...]
18 > /etc/portage/profile/package.provided
19 > both be the same dir, but don't know whether it's profile or profiles.
20 > Granted, a typo or changed policy is fine, but without documentation
21 > confirming one or the other as right, I'm left guessing.
22
23 It's singular. I've updated all the references otherwise.
24 They'll be in CVS before I post this. They are only in the ebuild
25 as the plural version.
26
27 > 3) What about the QA Notices?
28 > enough of them it'd just be unnecessary noise?
29
30 Occasionally someone notices a problem.
31 Occasionally someone mentions a problem.
32 Occasionally*Occasionally someone reports an Occasional problem.
33
34 It get fixed faster if everyone is yelling for it to stop.
35 Fixes by annoyance. Cheap, Easy, and Quick.
36
37 > What about that security notice I've seen pop up a few times? Example:
38 >
39 > QA Notice: Security risk /usr/bin/crontab. Please consider relinking with
40 > 'append-ldflags -Wl,-z,now' to fix.
41
42 For the full implications you should talk to the security hardened/
43 security guys. Solar is the one that put that patch up for me to add.
44 Basically, there is the potential to use a glibc exploit to induce a
45 race that could allow you to do weird things with libraries and files.
48 --NJ