From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Looking for a solution to the distutils/setuptools .egg-info mess
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2022 10:37:08
1 On Mon, 2022-01-10 at 06:39 +0100, Michał Górny wrote:
2 >
3 > 5. We could have the eclasses convert .egg-info into the newer .dist-
4 > info format. However, I'm not aware of any existing tool doing such
5 > a conversion, and I'm not convinced I want to write one right now,
6 > and whether it wouldn't have compatibility implications.
9 Ok, here's a somewhat related idea. Since we're going to have to switch
10 to PEP517 builds anyway at some point, and PEP517 builds use .dist-info
11 rather than .egg-info, how about:
12
13 1. we set SETUPTOOLS_USE_DISTUTILS=stdlib for the time being,
14
15 2. then we switch to =local in PEP517 mode?
16
17 i.e. effectively skip the intermediate step of having .egg-info
18 directory in distutils ebuilds, and go straight for .dist-info.
19
20 In other words:
21
22 a. existing ebuilds will not be affected, and unmasking setuptools-60+
23 should not cause any problems,
24
25 b. we will explicitly switch to the new mode via eclass var and test
26 both potentially breaking changes simultaneously.
29 Best regards,
30 Michał Górny