From: Todd Wright <wylie@××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-dev] other formats?
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2002 22:37:38
1 Sanity in Anarchy Wrote:
2
3 > I had sent a comment before that I liked the idea of Gentoo and
4 > Portage, but I
5 > wanted access to more programs than were offered in Portage's format.
6 > However, someone's mentioned to me that RPM support can be compiled into
7 > Debian's apt-get. Can I set up apt-get and/or rpm and/or any
8 > others on Gentoo
9 > Linux, or can I get Portage to recognize those formats?
10
11 Portage / Gentoo is only new. It is understandable that there are not ebuilds available yet for every package. You could always do what I did. I wanted Hercules, the mainframe emulator on my Gentoo system, so I created an ebuild and submitted it
12
13 If everyone did that, we would have just about everything available in no time.
14
15 I dont know if I like the idea of incorporating debian tools, or even rpm (a red hat tool). Gentoo uses portage. If you prefer debian tools, why not install debian?
16
18 / \
19 \_.--._* <--- http://www.dreams.darker.net/~wylie/
20 v Mobile: +61-403-796-001 Ph: +61-2-9521-8677