From: Lars Weiler <pylon@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] {Guide,Project,Foo}XML too confusing for many devs?
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2007 19:49:56
1 * Alec Warner <antarus@g.o> [07/03/26 08:05 -0700]:
2 > So this is getting pretty long winded; my basic question is do you as a
3 > developer find writing web pages to be confusing or difficult?
4
5 I'm one of the few people who like XML. Probably it's
6 because I don't have to care for the design and just need to
7 create content. It's also the reason why I like LaTeX and
8 docbook (well, the processing-tools are not that well
9 developed for docbook yet…).
10
11 > Is there not a good tutorial for learning our webpage XML
12 > syntax?
13
14 The XML-files of already written pages ;)
17 > Do you find that you bump up against restrictions in the
18 > DTD or other problems that prevent you from expressing
19 > yourself properly?
20
21 There are for sure some difficulties with our DTD,
22 especially for our project-pages. Adding a news-entry at
23 top or putting the elements in a fixed order.
24
25 > Do you have any idea how to actually go about extending
26 > GuideXML (or the other XML's we provide) Have
27 > you ever tried?
28
29 I work with GuideXML for more than four years now. I know
30 the XSLT-process behind, and I know our DTD. In the past I
31 did some small extensions, but currently it's very good
32 developed and from my point of view it is usable.
33
34 > Could we improve training with regards to any of this?
35
36 See the server-messages when you commit an XML-file. There
37 are two guys named who will help when there is an error in
38 the file during commit ;-)
41 But back to the question you started your message with: The
42 outdated project-pages. My opinion is, that GuideXML is not
43 the blocker for updating them. It's more a menpower issue.
44 Most developers have more fun in keeping their project in a
45 good state than providing information about the project on a
46 website. Furthermore there are many non-native speakers in
47 the projects who don't want to write websites in a broken
48 language. One person per project who watch the project and
49 collect the FAQs with answers might solve the problem.
50
51 Regards, Lars
52 --
53 Lars Weiler <pylon@g.o> +49-171-1963258
54 Instant Messaging : pylon@××××××××××.de
55 Gentoo Linux PowerPC : Strategical Lead and Release Engineer
56 Gentoo Infrastructure : CVS Administrator