From: Michael Weber <xmw@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: Multilib approach(es) Re: [gentoo-dev] The gx86 multilib project -- masterplan
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2013 11:31:05
2 Hash: SHA256
3
4 On 01/30/2013 10:58 AM, Michał Górny wrote:
5 > On Wed, 30 Jan 2013 09:35:12 +0100 Michael Weber <xmw@g.o>
6 > wrote:
7
8 > We don't want 32-bit cp. Thomas likes to support every weird idea
9 > coming from a random user, I don't.
10 What is wrong with "random" or "user"? Should I take "random user"
11 personally? Honestly, I have no idea.
12
13 Where do you want to draw the line?
14 How would you handle library packages shipping binaries?
15 Just `rm "${D}"/usr/bin`?
16
17 >> In the spirit of FHS, I thought about introducing /bin<qual> for
18 >> some time, but this continues with other dirs.
19 >
20 >> What about separating these ABIs on top dir and keeping the
21 >> respective sub-trees clean, like /<qual>/{,usr/}{bin,lib}?
22 > No. 32-bit chroot is an old idea and has nothing to do with
23 > multilib.
24
25 Right, that was the intent of my mail.
26 Not to question some multilib internal stupidity like how to handle
27 clashing pkg-config files but to question the approach in common.
28 Maybe FatELF would work with this multilib/USE approch w/o cluttering
29 the file system [1].
30
31 Multilib: funny clashes all over the tree, partial blessed by FHS.
32
33 Emul- packages, frozen, incapable of compiling and adding additional
34 stuff - collision avoidance by upstream.
35
36 Separated trees/chroots/... to be merged in $PATH et. al.
37
38 Is there any consent on how to proceed?
39
40 I support an slim solution, but as it turns out "architecture
41 independent" from FHS is just a lie. Or handled very badly.
42
43 [1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fat_binary
44
45 > It's an alternative to multilib and there's no point in reinventing
46 > it.
47 Yeah, did not reinvent it, just want to re-think it's validity.
48
49 - --
50 Michael Weber
51 Gentoo Developer