From: Kevin <lists@×××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Wishlist: an automated package upgrade system with fine-tunable sysadmin control
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 19:36:05
1 Jean-Francois Gagnon Laporte wrote:
2 > On 4/26/06, Kevin <lists@×××××××××.com> wrote:
3 >> What I really want is to make the process of maintaining Gentoo boxes
4 >> over the long term easier (IOW: less time-consuming) than is now true,
5 >> by adding some functionality that AFAICT does not now exist which would
6 >> allow me to automate some things, turn off automation of other things,
7 >> and as the sysadmin, have control over what those things should be. In
8 >> my mind at least, the central theme in Gentoo of choice dovetails nicely
9 >> with what I'm trying to describe here: control and choice that is highly
10 >> fine-tunable by the owner of the box in regards to package upgrades.
11 >
12 > Have a look at GLCU (http://www.panhorst.com/glcu/). Might not be the
13 > perfect solution for your needs but it might help. Tools like this
14 > one, /etc/portage and a private overlay for testing and/or pinning
15 > would be pretty usefull for you right now. Might want to check GLEP 19
16 > IIRC for the enterprise tree idea.
17
18 Thanks very kindly for your reply and pointer, Jean-Francois!
19
20 -Kevin
21 --
22 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list