From: Markus Nigbur <pYrania@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] MPlayer cpu USE flags zaniness
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2005 04:46:40
1 On Sun, 2005-03-27 at 12:48 +0900, Chris White wrote:
2 > My God.. I love this part:
3 >
4 > Ok, so I had some users complain about mmx2 being showed as enabled
5 > in mplayer despite the lack of mmxext in /proc/cpuinfo. Therefore I
6 > decided to get upstream help. Here's what we got...:
7 >
8 > mmx2 = sse
9 > sse = mmx2
10 >
11 > but in mplayer's configure script:
12 >
13 > mmx2 = sse's integer logic
14 > sse = sse's floating point stuff
15 >
16 > so mmx2 is NOT a flag for mmx2 support.. it's a flag for integer portion
17 > of sse...
18 >
19 > ok, so at this point I'm confused as to how to approach this. What
20 > about AMD? Do they use mmxext for stuff like that.. or sse2 extensions
21 > (as someone mentioned). My plan is to have sse USE flag enable mmx2
22 > only (since it's "the best") and disable sse (since it's the same thing
23 > but "worse"). However, that only takes care of intel.. what about AMD
24 > processors though? They deal with all this stuff differently.
25 > Recomendations are welcome at this point.. I'm going to get some asprin...
26
27 That sounds very brain dead by upstream. IMHO they really shouldn't use
28 keywords for things which don't do what everybody else would expect them
29 to do. Did you already propose them to change this behavior and
30 introduce either another keyword for the floating point stuff or merge
31 those two, enabling it by default when sse is enabled.
32
33 I'm kinda confused now...
36 (o_ Markus Nigbur
37 //\ Gentoo GNU/Linux Developer
38 [ ]/_ http://www.gentoo.org
39 GPG Fingerprint: 9E31 187A 6C78 210C F248 EDBB F2FB A77F 707D F8C1
42 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list