From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Why I don't think the CoC is a good idea
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 03:58:19
1 On Wednesday 14 March 2007, Alexandre Buisse wrote:
2 > The answer to that remark, and it has already been done in today's
3 > discussions, is that we should follow the spirit of the law and not its
4 > letter. But then, why do we need a Code of Conduct at all? There is
5 > nothing in it that people don't already know and if they choose to still
6 > commit the offense, it's either that they don't think it's one or that
7 > they choose to ignore the consequences and commit it anyway. In both
8 > cases, having a written code won't change a thing.
9
10 sure it does ... if you dont outline consequences, how can there be any ? the
11 spirit lives on; dont be an asshat and there's nothing for you to worry
12 about ... if you start being being offensive, then you get tied down in rules
13
14 > I think that everyone should be free to participate in any discussion
15 > as long as some outrageous behaviours like racism are not shown and that
16 > the discussion stays on topic. But forcing people to not flame (and how
17 > does one define that anyway?) is simply an unnecessary freedom
18 > restriction. Great ideas can come from heated discussions, which can
19 > even be considered as a sign of good health, since people care enough to
20 > defend their ideas with passion. Or sometimes it is just funny, even if
21 > not everyone "gets it". As long as one doesn't have to participate to
22 > this discussion, I don't see any problem.
23
24 there's a difference between a heated discussion and flaming ... lumping the
25 two together as being inseparable is wrong
26
27 > So my "solution" would be to just let things go as they currently are.
28 > If people want to make asses of themselves in public, great, let them do
29 > just that. If you don't like someone else, just don't read what they
30 > post. But if you freely choose to participate to a flame, live with the
31 > consequences, including the possibility of being called names by someone
32 > else (I don't know if there is an english equivalent, but a french
33 > saying goes like : "it's a gourmet delice to be called an asshole by an
34 > idiot") and don't complain afterwards about it, because by acknowledging
35 > the very existence of the trolls, you fed them and gave them a target.
36
37 we've tried this in the past and the only real thing we have to show for it
38 are people leaving and offers of support withdrawn
39 -mike