From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC about another *DEPEND variable
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2006 15:06:35
On Thursday 21 September 2006 10:54, Donnie Berkholz wrote:
> Yes, I agree with you. For example, take expat. The maintainers have > refused to allow both versions to exist simultaneously on a system > because it apparently causes more breakage than just breaking every app > on your system by removing .so.0.
that is the exact case portage should be handling for you it would go "oh hey, check out ... some things seem to want it ... HEY USER, you need to rebuild: xxxxxxxx" ... once all the packages still consuming are rebuilt, portage could silently trim it from the system complicated ? not really, scanelf can produce all this information in an easily digestable format -mike

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC about another *DEPEND variable Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@×××××××.org>