From: al3x payne <al3x@××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@g.o, gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] more about wireless install
Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2002 22:47:10
Okay, so as someone suggested I burned myself a boot disk, fired it up, and
modprobe'd the obvious components to get my machine online: pcmcia card
services and orinoco.  I was a little dismayed that the PCI autodetect
didn't find my PCMCIA card adaptor (the standard intel chipset PCI one that
the orinoco folks sell to adapt their cards for desktop machines).

This didn't work.  I can always plug this machine into the wired ethernet,
but it's a hassle location-wise.  To be competitive, Gentoo really should
support 802.11b wireless "out of the box."  Any thoughts?

-Alex Payne