From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@×××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo's problems
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2007 11:09:26
1 On Thu, 15 Mar 2007 09:49:39 +0100 Wernfried Haas <amne@g.o>
2 wrote:
3 > On Wed, Mar 14, 2007 at 09:58:50PM +0000, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
4 > > > > * The wrong idea of what the user base is, and what the target
5 > > > > user base is. Gentoo's direction is too heavily influenced by a
6 > > > > small number of extremely noisy ricer forum users, many of whom
7 > > > > don't even run Gentoo. Unfortunately, this self-perpetuating
8 > > > > clique wields huge amounts of influence.
9 > > >
10 > > > I was certain that Gentoo's direction was influenced by the people
11 > > > working on Gentoo; not ricers. Do you have any examples of when
12 > > > the ricers changed the direction of things in Gentoo.
13 > >
14 > > Sunrise is the canonical example. Also consider the way the forums
15 > > are being run (like it or not, the forums are taken by many to be
16 > > representative of Gentoo's user base)...
17 >
18 > Drop your theories about the forums from this list please, it's
19 > really far OT and creating a quite unproductive atmosphere.
20
21 Well no, that's the point. If we're discussing Gentoo's problems, as
22 some people wish, we might as well discuss them... It's hardly a sane
23 way of approaching things to say "Ok, we're having an honest discussion
24 about how to fix Gentoo, but you can't talk about x, y or z"...
27 Ciaran McCreesh
28 Mail : ciaranm at ciaranm.org
29 Web : http://ciaranm.org/
30 Paludis, the secure package manager : http://paludis.pioto.org/