From: Greg KH <gregkh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] contents of /dev after initial installation
Date: Fri, 02 Dec 2005 17:07:15
1 On Fri, Dec 02, 2005 at 01:17:38PM +0000, Mike Frysinger wrote:
2 > On Thu, Dec 01, 2005 at 08:43:32PM -0800, Greg KH wrote:
3 > > That being said, my boxes have an empty /dev...
4 >
5 > you so sure about that ? if your /dev is completely empty, you wont
6 > get any init output because the kernel cant find /dev/console ... and
7 > the init scripts will get pissed when they try to pipe output into
8 > /dev/null (before udev is started) and the command errors out with
9 > /dev being read-only
10
11 No, all of the /dev/null reliance has been fixed. You just don't get
12 any console output if you don't have that device node present until init
13 finishes.
14
15 But I did just check, and I do have 2 device nodes in my /dev/ I'll
16 work on making things work better if they aren't present...
17
18 thanks,
19
20 greg k-h