From: Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Features and documentation
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2007 01:04:06
1 On 16:43 Wed 28 Nov , Alec Warner wrote:
2 > On 11/28/07, Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@g.o> wrote:
3 > > Here's my understanding of what you said: Because people will break
4 > > rules and violate standards, we shouldn't have any.
5 > >
6 > > Is that accurate?
9 > Kind of.
10 >
11 > Most people follow most rules. Most people break a subset of rules.
12 >
13 > You are essentially adding an unreasonable (in my view) rule that I
14 > expect nearly everyone to break or ignore, thereby adding little or no
15 > value to the project as whole. Most people care about documentation
16 > in the abstract sense, almost no one cares *enough* to write any ;)
17 >
18 > Forcing people to write documentation won't get it written, people
19 > will continue to act like we just saw and either the rule will get
20 > ignored, or someone will change the rule, or people will leave because
21 > the rule is enforced aggressively and it has ruined the ability to
22 > contribute to the project.
23
24 The Linux kernel seems to still have contributors, despite its
25 requirement. It seems like people decide to leave after nearly any
26 change Gentoo makes these days, so I'm not even sure how much we should
27 consider that unless we want to stop all development and do nothing.
28 (But I guess that also would be a change, so people would quit.)
29
30 > This is why I offered to write the GLEP for Diego and Cardoe, because
31 > I know they are not interested in writing it themselves. Thats why we
32 > have a doc-team that for some sick reason enjoy writing and
33 > maintaining documentation.
34
35 You've made some great points here about working with people who enjoy
36 dealing with docs. What I'm saying is that we should work with these
37 people before committing rather than after.
38
39 Thanks,
40 Donnie
41 --