From: Dennis Schridde <devurandom@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Access to DRM render nodes from portage sandbox?
Date: Wed, 09 May 2018 07:57:22
1 On Wednesday, 9 May 2018 09:34:43 CEST Michał Górny wrote:
2 > W dniu śro, 09.05.2018 o godzinie 08∶51 +0200, użytkownik Dennis
3 >
4 > Schridde napisał:
5 > > I see sandbox violations similar to "ACCESS DENIED: open_wr: /dev/dri/
6 > > renderD128" pop up for more and more packages, probably since OpenCL
7 > > becomes used more widely. Hence I would like to ask: Could we in Gentoo
8 > > treat GPUs just like CPUs and allow any process to access render nodes
9 > > (i.e. the GPUs compute capabilities via the specific interface the Linux
10 > > kernel's DRM offers for that purpose) without sandbox restrictions?
11 > >
12 > > See-Also: https://bugs.gentoo.org/654216
13 >
14 > Doesn't accessing those nodes involve a risk of programs being able to
15 > crash your system (or xorg)? Or cause on-screen artifacts?
16
17 Well, in the presence of Linux kernel bugs, programs could crash the whole
18 system. But I believe this is also true for all other drivers and compute
19 devices, including CPUs.
20
21 I assume an application using render nodes could crash X by e.g. consuming all
22 memory. But then this is also true for all applications using the CPU and its
23 attached memory for computations.
24
25 On-screen artifacts as in resolution switching and other KMS operations is
26 explicitly prohibited. Insecure access (using GEM FLINK) to the memory of
27 other applications (which could cause broken textures / windows with broken
28 content) is also explicitly prohibited. So my understanding is that the
29 answer is: No, using render nodes cannot cause on-screen artifacts (modulo the
30 presence of Linux kernel bugs, s.a.).
31
32 DRM render nodes were specifically introduced to allow GPGPU applications to
33 run without impacting the security of the system (and without X).
34
35 The Linux kernel documentation contains some information on the concept:
36 * https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/v4.16/gpu/drm-uapi.html#render-nodes
37
38 As well as an older blog post by David Herrmann:
39 * https://dvdhrm.wordpress.com/2013/09/01/splitting-drm-and-kms-device-nodes/
40
41 And the Wikipedia article on DRM:
42 * https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direct_Rendering_Manager#Render_nodes