From: Markus Nigbur <pYrania@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] package testing
Date: Sat, 06 Dec 2003 06:39:31
1 On Sat, 6 Dec 2003 11:57:28 +0100
2 Gerold Strobel <gs@××××××××××××××.com> wrote:
3
5 > Hash: SHA1
6 >
7 > greetings to the list
8 >
9 > In my opinion it takes too long until a new version of a packet is
10 > available in the stable portage tree. Current example: kopete
11 > (kopete.sourceforge.net) 0.7.4 is available since 11/18/2003, yet
12 > 0.7.3 is the latest marked stable.
13 >
14 > What's the procedure applied to test a package for stability?
15
16 In general, before commiting we test that it compiles _and_ runs.
17 If after two-four weeks after it's released in the ~arch tree there were
18 no major bugs reported, it's moved to stable.
19
20 > How can I help speed things up?
21 Fix possible bugs and test packages with different useflags and even
22 compiler instructions. We can't test all of them.
23
24 > Is there an archive of this list? Where?
25 http://news.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.devel
26
27 -- Markus
30 Markus Nigbur