From: Paul Waring <pwaring@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] category sci-* too verbose ?
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 09:23:20
1 On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 21:23:10 -0500, Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o> wrote:
2 > actually, now that i look, arent all the sci-* categories needlessly
3 > pedantic ?
4
5 Better to be too pedantic and descriptive than too concise and ambiguous. ;)
6
7 > sci-astronomy -> sci-astro
8 > sci-biology -> sci-bio
9
10 This one can easily end up like the geo* argument. Biology?
11 Bioinformatics? (again you could argue that they should be under the
12 same category).
13
14 > sci-geosciences -> sci-geo
15
16 As has already been pointed out "geo" could mean geology, geosciences,
17 geochemistry and I'm sure there's others (although I suppose you could
18 argue they could all fall under the same category).
19
20 > sci-mathematics -> sci-math
21
22 This one I agree with, I can't see anyone being confused by
23 math/mathematics - no-one I know ever refers to maths by its full
24 name.
25
26 Paul
29 Rogue Tory