From: Jani Monoses <jani@××.ro>
To: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] package masking too conservative?
Date: Thu, 07 Aug 2003 06:22:42
1 > > crowd actually provides feedback to their development. More like
2 > > those RPM based distros :)
3 > >
4 > > Especially because many tools I find are undeservingly masked are
5 > > developer oriented so there's a greater chance feedback will be sane
6 > > and prompt.
7 > >
8 > > I'd propose to loosen this policy a bit, but then again who am I?
9 > >
10 > > Jani
11 > >
12 > > cc: please
15 > > --
16 > > gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list
17 >
18 > Just my quick .02...
19 >
20 > You can always mask packages which are ~arch. After all, ~arch is the
21 > "testing" branch in Gentoo, and not really considered an "unstable"
22 > branch. If you're willing to participate in testing, then you should
23 > probably have KEYWORDS=~arch in your /etc/make.conf anyway. The
24
25 I'd like to test/use latest versions of most packages but not the latest
26 glibc for instance or something which might destabilize the whole
27 system. They are both under the same hat with the current ~arch setup.
28
29 Also if only packages with no bugs in them should be stable then
30 probably only /bin/yes, /bin/false, /bin/true and TeX would make it :)
33 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list