From: Brian Harring <ferringb@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: multiple inheritance support for profiles
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2006 06:43:16
1 On Sat, Aug 12, 2006 at 10:59:48PM -0700, Zac Medico wrote:
2 > Brian Harring wrote:
3 > > Said single inheritance protection was added 06/05/06 (rev 3544),
4 > > stabled for x86 roughly 06/22/06.
5 > >
6 > > Hasn't even yet made it to a release media- meaning folk installing
7 > > from the most current release media still can get bit in the ass by
8 > > switching to an N parent from the get go.
9 >
10 > I'm not sure what the probability of people hurting themselves like
11 > this is.
12
13 Probably is related to how quickly N profile is uptaken, how
14 widespread, and (assuming it's used to do base profile, and shallow
15 decoration, gnome specific fex) ordering of the base profile vs the
16 shallow profile.
19 > Perhaps it's a negligible corner case and a note in the
20 > upgrade guide will be enough to keep the vast majority of users on
21 > the right track.
22
23 Upgrade guide being what, profile deprecated notices?
24
25 > I'd hope that a user would be wise enough to read
26 > some docs prior to switching to a new profile with a potentially
27 > outdated version of portage.
28
29 And users hope that the developers don't leave land mines around :)
30
31 This *can* be one helluva land mine; I already listed ways to at least
32 manually address it from a dev standpoint (forced portage deps in each
33 branch).
34
35 Like I said in the last email (and was snipped from the response),
36 this needs to level additional protective measures to avoid users
37 getting bit- it should be seemless (well aware that's not always
38 easy).
39 ~harring