From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o, qa@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Local workarounds with no reported bugs
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2016 07:23:24
1 Hello, everyone.
2
3 I'd like to point out a major problem in Gentoo: there's a fair number
4 of developers who add various local workarounds to problems they meet
5 and don't bother to report a bug. Worst than that, this applies not
6 only for upstream problems but also to Gentoo eclass/ebuild-related
7 issues.
10 Example: udev people had problems with MULTILIB_WRAPPED_HEADERS
11 in the past. Instead of contacting me (which would result in helpful
12 explanation how to do things properly), they abused bash to disable
13 the check function implicitly in the ebuilds.
14
15 Nobody bothered to inform me of the issue there. Instead, I had to
16 notice it looking at the udev ebuilds accidentally. Furthermore, in
17 most of the ebuilds the workaround was no longer necessary but nobody
18 bothered to check that.
21 Example 2: Coacher had problem with git-r3 not trying fallback URIs
22 when earlier URI was https and https wasn't supported in git. So he
23 reordered URIs to have https last. With tiny explanation in some random
24 commit message.
25
26 So we have a problem that affects around a half of git-r3 packages
27 (using quick grep, results inaccurate), however minor it is. Worse, it
28 affects the policy of preferring https and causes some people to reject
29 the policy silently. And nobody gives a damn to report it!
32 Therefore, I'd like to request establishing an official policy against
33 workarounds with no associated bug reports.
34
35 Your thoughts?
38 Best regards,
39 Michał Górny