From: Angelo Arrifano <miknix@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Tone in Gentoo
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2010 17:07:59
1 On 16-06-2010 18:39, "Paweł Hajdan, Jr." wrote:
2 > On 6/16/10 5:33 AM, Sebastian Pipping wrote:
3 >> As I have heard there are people not joining Gentoo because the
4 >> atmosphere in Gentoo is lacking respect and empathy.
5
6 You are not the only one hearing that. If we jump over our own fences,
7 that will be much more visible.
8 >
9 > This is really sad. And the kind of people who value that often make
10 > good developers if they also have good technical skills.
11 >
12 >> I have searched a few places for rules on tone,
13 >
14 > I believe one can't solve this problem by using rules.
15 >
16 >> - With these Code of Conduct rules in place how come DevRel
17 >> is not publicly reminding of these rules where necessary?
18 >
19 > I think the initiative is on the offended person's side. If a developer
20 > is being aggressive and needlessly argumentative towards other people,
21 > that's clearly a misconduct. Similarly for aggressive users.
22 >
23 >> Could it be we expect perfection from each other instead seeking to
24 >> understand and complement each other?
25 >
26 > That might be a part of it.
27 >
28 >> What can we do to make Gentoo a friendlier community?
29 >
30 > We need leadership. I remember very well when the leader of one of the
31 > Gentoo projects I participate in reminded me to always say "thanks" to
32 > people who are helping us on Bugzilla. A small thing, but wasn't he right?
33
34 Damn right. Motivation is something that is very easy to lose. If we
35 developers don't show users that we appreciate their contributions (even
36 when we don't), we risk losing potential contributions in the future.
37
38 I've seen some bugs [sorry no references right now] where some
39 developers point out facts in a *very* aggressive way. Even when what
40 they have to say is true, they will scare away people. Is this what we want?
41 I understand there are a lot of factors that leads into a aggressive
42 response: private life, karma, the persistence of people doing things
43 *wrong*, etc.. we are humans after all. But if such behavior is the rule
44 instead of the exception, then I believe something is wrong and devrel
45 should be brought into attention.
46
47 - Angelo
48 >
49 > I believe it's the project leaders and the Council who ultimately set
50 > the tone.
51 >
52 > Paweł