From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: QA subproject, TreeCleaners
Date: Sun, 04 Jun 2006 02:56:08
1 Alec Warner <antarus@g.o> posted 4481A01B.6090609@g.o,
2 excerpted below, on Sat, 03 Jun 2006 10:43:39 -0400:
3
4 > 6. Packages slated for removal shall have a 30 day period in
5 > package.mask prior to removal. This is tree cleaner policy, and it's
6 > one that I hope other developers will adopt. I've seen things pmasked
7 > and removed after a week, a "couple of days", or just pmasked and never
8 > removed. The 30 day period allows everyone using the package to see the
9 > masking message and the corresponding bug when they use portage.
10
11 What about changing this to "a minimum 30 day period after dev-list
12 last rites notification prior to removal, a minimum 3 day period between
13 dev-list notification and masking, and a minimum 2 week period in
14 package.mask."
15
16 The idea should be obvious, provide a bit of time after notification
17 before masking, as anyone stepping up in this period will minimize
18 disruption to the tree, while maintaining a reasonable post mask period
19 and a minimum 30 day overall period.
20
21 This is based on the various notifications and varied timings I've seen
22 here, as the proposal in general seems to be as well. Both would
23 standardize things a bit, but this change would minimize disruption to the
24 tree if someone stepped up before masking.
25
26 Either way, good idea; a betterment of Gentoo, I agree.
31 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
34 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list