From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Copyright issues (Was: udev-ng?)
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2012 16:34:53
1 On Mon, Nov 19, 2012 at 11:10 AM, Peter Stuge <peter@×××××.se> wrote:
2 > Anthony G. Basile wrote:
3 >> The answer appears to be that a file is the unit
4 >
5 > I personally consider it to be smaller; a number of lines within
6 > a file, or even a single line, all depending on things.
7
8 Yup - any creative expression is copyrightable. Your two line email
9 is completely copyrightable, and so is the one line you quoted. That
10 said, Anthony couldn't have used copyright to prevent you and I from
11 quoting him, as it would almost certainly be considered fair use.
12 That doesn't mean that his email wasn't copyrightable - only that
13 copyright is not an impervious protection.
14
15 Rich