From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: Deprecating EAPI0
Date: Sat, 21 Mar 2009 21:55:52
1 On Sat, 21 Mar 2009 22:51:11 +0100
2 Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o> wrote:
3 > > >> The same kind that always happens when lots of ebuilds get
4 > > >> changed.
5 > > >
6 > > > ... lots of new features and a few bugs that get fixed the next
7 > > > day? Hey, that sounds quite bad. And maybe some new herd testers?
8 > > > How rude!
9 > >
10 > > I don't see the correlation between EAPI bumps and new herd testers.
11 >
12 > Well, ciaran said that the same thing happens that always happens
13 > when lots of ebuilds get changed. Last time I saw that happen (think
14 > KDE4) we got some nice herd testers plus a new dev or two, so I am
15 > confused too.
16
17 And a massive amount of breakage, some of which still isn't fixed, yes.
18 Have a look at bugzilla sometime.
19
20 > Anyway. Most of the "porting" effort (assuming no other issues
21 > sneaking in) would be adding a "EAPI=1" line to ebuilds, which could
22 > be done "lazily" on version bumps. There's no rush to get it killed
23 > now now now, but in a year we might be at EAPI 5, and then I don't
24 > want to be the one writing the docs that split apart what features
25 > are where and what syntax is valid and all that.
26
27 Fortunately, you won't be. As the person who probably will be, I can
28 assure you that killing off EAPI 0 won't help in the slightest. It
29 won't mean we can remove all mention of EAPI 0 from the documentation,
30 since package managers need to support EAPIs indefinitely for
31 uninstalls.
34 Ciaran McCreesh