From: Virgil Dupras <hsoft@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] The problem of unmaintained packages in Gentoo
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2017 19:42:02
1 On Wed, 20 Dec 2017 17:49:03 +0100
2 Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > So does anyone have any ideas on what we could realistically do right
5 > now to improve things?
6
7 Maybe some kind of official overlay for packages needing love? We could send outdated packages there to die or to be born again if the right person picks it up.
8
9 The overlay could have more relaxed rules (not malicious and looking good? no need to test this, merge!) for PR merging. If the package degrades through bad PRs, fine, let's let it die. If it improves, good, it can be born again.
10
11 I'm under the impression that such an overlay could release pressure on proxy-maint, allow treecleaners to clean more aggressively while keeping users happy.
12
13 As a bonus, it could be an interesting path to becoming a gentoo developer. More relaxed rules could mean that anyone could assume maintainership of a dying package without having to wait for someone from proxy-maint to review every little change. This allows the would-be developer to be bolder with changes and prove herself better.
14
15 (my apologies if this idea is not new, I haven't been following the ML for very long.)
16
17 Regards,
18 Virgil Dupras