From: Matt Turner <mattst88@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Default USE changes for fortran and mudflap?
Date: Sun, 12 Jan 2014 18:09:18
1 On Sat, Jan 11, 2014 at 11:53 PM, Ryan Hill <dirtyepic@g.o> wrote:
2 > While I'm adding USE defaults to toolchain.eclass and moving them out of the
3 > profiles, I thought now would be a good time to review a couple default flag
4 > settings.
5 >
6 > mudflap:
7 > This is currently enabled by default but I'd like to disable it. It controls
8 > libmudflap and the -fmudflap flag. I think the only reason this flag exists is
9 > so we can disable it in crossdev. It's not required by anything in the tree,
10 > the code is bitrotten and has been removed for GCC 4.9. If you know how to use
11 > -fmudflap, you know how to set a USE flag.
12
13 Sounds good.
14
15 > fortran:
16 > Do we want to keep enabling fortran by default? The majority of users will
17 > never get the urge to install a fortran package, and the fortran eclass handles
18 > those that do. I think it should be treated as all the other optional
19 > languages and disabled by default, but I'd like to know if there are other
20 > opinions.
21
22 I'm for removing fortran by default. Disabling fortran is always one
23 of the first things I do on a new install. I've disabled it by default
24 in the mips profile already.