From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Bisecting Was: Referencing bug reports in git
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2015 08:42:24
1 Jason Zaman posted on Wed, 12 Aug 2015 15:38:01 +0800 as excerpted:
2
3 >> Tho I can definitely think of a non-traditional use for bisect.
4 >> [When a system hasn't been updated in over a year, bisect the update.]
5 >
6 > I like the idea, but its probably easier to just git checkout $(git
7 > rev-list -n 1 --before="2015-12-01 12:00" master) and then you just
8 > change the date a month at a time or something
9
10 You're correct, and I did think about that, but...
11
12 The nice thing with bisect at least in something like the kernel where
13 most of the direct main-tree changes are merges, is that it'll stay at
14 the higher merge level as long as possible, drilling down to individual
15 commits only after bisects to an individual merge.
16
17 Again, however, I'm not entirely sure how that translates to gentoo's
18 rebase-and-fast-forward recommendation, with fewer merges. But at the
19 3-4 month level, if it avoids landing in the middle of a kde or gnome
20 update, that'd be very useful.
21
22 It could well be that with gentoo's merges-discouraged workflow, the
23 effect would be the same either way, in which case, you're correct, your
24 suggestion would be easier.
25
26 But it's still a creative use of bisect I hadn't thought of before, even
27 if bisect isn't the most efficient method to that end. Which means I know
28 a bit more about bisect than I did. =:^)
33 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman