From: Christian Heim <phreak@g.o>
To: Thomas Kirchner <gentoo2@××××××××.org>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Last rites for net-wireless/ipw2100 and net-wireless/ipw2200
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2006 10:20:59
1 On Friday, 22. December. 2006 01:36, you wrote:
2 > Hi Christian.
3 >
4 > * On Dec 21 0:42, Christian Heim (gentoo-dev@l.g.o) wrote:
5 > > net-wireless/ipw2100 and net-wireless/ipw2200 are both kernel drivers
6 > > built as an external package through portage. The codebase currently in
7 > > portage is the same that is present in any up-to-date kernel tarball
8 > > (2.6.x).
9 > >
10 > > For this reason I am suggesting, everyone migrates to the in-kernel
11 > > drivers.
12 >
13 > Have you gotten any kind of a response to this yet? I personally use
14 > net-wireless/ipw2200 and would not be happy to see it removed.
15
16 No I haven't gotten any response to this. Only thing I heard was the question
17 if 2.4 users might be dazzled by this. You're the first one.
18
19 > The package makes it easier to maintain updated wireless drivers, as the
20 > kernel can often be behind the current release. Kernel releases can be
21 > some time apart, and point releases do not often incorporate new
22 > third-party drivers. Consider how long you might have to wait for a bug
23 > fix for your wireless if a kernel had just been released. Also, it
24 > removes the need to recompile the kernel when new ipw drivers are
25 > released.
26
27 Usually you don't have to wait *that* long. And point is, the current upstream
28 development (ipw2?00.sf.net) is nearly halted, thus bugs get fixed in the
29 kernel at the same time they get fixed in ipw2?00. Point with this removal is
30 to remove another package, that is eating up my time. As I don't have the
31 interest to maintain it anymore (and the in-kernel drivers work without any
32 problems) and also nobody else showed interest in this package, I went ahead
33 and announced its removal.
34
35 > Furthermore, many users have a much easier time using the
36 > externally-built module than the in-kernel drivers. I, personally, found
37 > it to "just work" whereas the kernel drivers would not work without lots
38 > of troubleshooting.
39
40 I haven't been in this situation, and I've never seen any complaints (neither
41 via mail nor bugzilla), so I have to take the point that there are no
42 problems (remember, I can only fix stuff I know of). I'm really sorry if that
43 complicates your life more than usual (;)).
44
45 Sincerely,
46
47 Christian Heim
50 Christian Heim <phreak at gentoo.org>
51 GPG key ID: 9A9F68E6
52 Fingerprint: AEC4 87B8 32B8 4922 B3A9 DF79 CAE3 556F 9A9F 68E6
53 --
54 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list