From: Alon Bar-Lev <alonbl@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [News item review] Portage rsync tree verification (v2)
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2018 22:48:11
1 On 26 January 2018 at 00:21, Robin H. Johnson <robbat2@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Thu, Jan 25, 2018 at 11:55:58PM +0200, Alon Bar-Lev wrote:
3 >> I did not looked into the detailed implementation, however, please
4 >> make sure integrity check handles the same cases we have applied to
5 >> emerge-webrsync in the past, including:
6 > Gemato is the implementation of GLEP74/MetaManifest, which DOES
7 > explicitly address both of these concerns.
8
9 Good!
10 Thanks.
13 >> 1. Fast forward only in time, this is required to avoid hacker to
14 >> redirect into older portage to install vulnerabilities that were
15 >> approved at that time.
16 > Replay attacks per #1 are addressed via TIMESTAMP field in MetaManifest.
17
18 Interesting, I tried again to understand how it is working without
19 performing rsync to a temporary directory, compare the timestamp and
20 reject if unexpected.
21 Are we doing multiple rsync for the metadata?
22 Long since I used this insecure rsync...
23
24 For me it seems like webrsync and/or squashfs are much easier/faster
25 to apply integrity into than rsync... :)
26
27 Regards,
28 Alon