From: Alexander Gretencord <arutha@×××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Gentoo peer-to-peer
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2002 04:13:15
1 On Tuesday 23 July 2002 23:14, Charles Lacour wrote:
2 > I'm not sure there's any need for USE flags to identify the binary. If two
3 > different people compile a package to identical binaries, what USE flags
4 > they had are completely irrelevant. (Someone might compile a package under
5 > another flavor of Linux, for example, in which case there ARE no USE
6 > flags.)
7
8 Well it's pretty obvious that different USE flags should result in different
9 binaries but you need the USE flags so you know what's in the package. If I
10 have a -X in my USE flags I surely wouldn't want to install a vim binary
11 package that has X support in it.
12
13 Should everyone be able to submit binaries ? I surely wouldn't trust them.
14
15 > My thought was to build a string describing the package, then run an md5sum
16 > on that. I was thinking of using that as part of the filename, so we might
17 > want to create a custom md5sum that would produce a shorter string (6-8
18 > characters, say).
19
20 You do know about hash functions and collisions ?
21
22 > Some people have objected (none too violently, as yet) to this as being
23 > "contrary to the spirit of Gentoo".
24
25 Well I'm not against binaries (without --buildpkg gentoo wouldn't be too
26 useful for more than a few computers) but I surely wouldn't like to have
27 binaries installed from _somebody_. I've chosen gentoo because I can compile
28 from source with control over what I build but with good packaging and
29 without the need to know how to compile every single package I need. Of
30 course that may be different for a lot of people but see first sentence of
31 the "About gentoo" page.
32
33 "Gentoo Linux is a versatile and fast, completely free Linux distribution for
34 x86, PowerPC, Sparc and Sparc64 that's geared towards Linux power users."
35
36 That's what they probably mean when they talk about the spirit :)
37
38 > I like the idea of using this for source as well as binaries; when I'm
39 > downloading files from Gnutella and can get 3 or 4 people to download from
40 > at once, I can max out my ADSL line. From a lot of FTP servers, I get a lot
41 > less. It would also let me contribute as as server; I have a fixed IP
42 > address, but only a 128K uplink. By myself, I'd be a pretty sorry source
43 > for much of anything. With 8 or 10 people like me, though, I'd be quite
44 > useful.
45
46 Well without proper verification of source and binary packages you will only
47 get "normal users" to use that. I can (privately) live with "just trusting
48 the official mirrors", but p2p without strong cryptographhic verification for
49 anything other than films or music (did I say that ? :)) ?
52 Alex
55 "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety
56 deserve neither liberty nor safety."
57 Benjamin Franklin