From: bdharring <bdharring@××××.edu>
To: Kurt Lieber <klieber@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Proposal: re-organizing our source mirrors into two categories: full and partial
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2003 14:33:12
1 On Friday, July 25, 2003, at 09:11 AM, Kurt Lieber wrote:
2
3 > Folks --
4 >
5 > I'd like to propose the following reorg for our mirrors. Right now,
6 > all
7 > mirrors are required to carry all directories. I'd like to break that
8 > into
9 > two categories: full mirrors and distfile mirrors.
10 >
11 > Full mirrors would still be required to carry all directories. Full
12 > means
13 > full, after all. :)
14 >
15 > distfile mirrors would be required to carry two directories:
16 > /distfiles and
17 > /snapshots. /snapshots contains snapshots of the portage tree and is
18 > used
19 > by emerge-webrsync for folks that are behind restrictive firewalls.
20 > Typically, the /snapshot directory is under 250MB.
21 >
22 > This gives mirrors who are short on disk space an option to still
23 > support
24 > Gentoo without having to set aside nearly 50GB of space for us. For
25 > mirrors who do have enough disk space, they can continue to mirror the
26 > full
27 > tree.
28 >
29 > We will of course continue to work at reducing the overall amount of
30 > data
31 > that we have. However, over time, our space requirements will
32 > undoubtedly
33 > continue to increase. This proposal is meant as a longer term
34 > solution to
35 > give mirror admins an option on how best they can support Gentoo in
36 > their
37 > environment.
38 Going a bit longer term, I'd wonder about adding a mirror
39 classification that handles just diff's (or whatever format is used).
40 While distfile diff's aren't currently included/existing, I can't help
41 but believe that this feature will be integrated into portage at some
42 point, mainly due to the fact people request it and more importantly,
43 the fact that people are working on this problem.
44 Also, are you advocating the distfile mirrors carry a *complete*
45 distfile mirror, or a partial? I'm curious what the space savings
46 would be...
47 ~bdh
51 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list