From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Re: upgrade's and rc-scripts
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2005 21:54:32
1 Zac Medico posted <42E11632.8040606@×××××.com>, excerpted below, on Fri,
2 22 Jul 2005 08:52:18 -0700:
3
4 > Duncan wrote:
5 >> Zac Medico posted <42DF90B1.9030806@×××××.com>, excerpted below, on
6 >> Thu, 21 Jul 2005 05:10:25 -0700:
9 >>>This could be an optional feature such as FEATURES="restartservices".
10 >>>The CONFIG_PROTECT functionality could remain as is. Portage could use
11 >>>a special ebuild variable to determine whether the previous and new
12 >>>ebuilds have compatible configuration file formats (similar to EAPI) and
13 >>>only restart the service if they are compatible.
16 >> Interesting. Something like PKG_CONFIG_VER, individualized for each
17 >> package. Portage would know not to restart the service between major
18 >> versions, and would know it could if the version stayed the same. The
19 >> question would be what to do for minor config version changes (which
20 >> would equate to compatible in general, but with one or more changes).
21 >> I'd say that should mean a safe restart as well. If it wouldn't be
22 >> safe, and since the config version would be a Gentoo-only arbitrary
23 >> number, I'd say make that a major version change.
26 > I mentioned this mostly just because the idea popped into my head and
27 > thought others might be interested ;-). Upon further inspection, it does
28 > seem like a "opening can of worms". I'm not sure that the benefits of
29 > this feature would justify the costs of implementing it.
30
31 Indeed. IMO it's one of those things that get labeled "bluesky" on the
32 various development roadmaps. It'd be nice... some day... but it'd be far
33 more work than it's really worth, today. Furthermore, it wouldn't be the
34 work of just one person, but many Gentoo developers... which wouldn't be
35 bad except for the fact that such would necessarily take away from the
36 limited time (of volunteers, mind you, so the time /is/ limited, to bits
37 and pieces "stolen" from "real life") available for other things, a
38 package or two more one might maintain were it not for the extra work
39 creating and maintaining the versions, adding yet another entire area of
40 possible bugs to the already ever growing bugzilla db. It's a nice idea
41 -- except for all the other things that pursuing it will mean do not get
42 done.
43
44 That said, many of what we know as the packages we deal with daily today
45 were such "nice ideas" at some point. The trick is finding someone who is
46 sufficiently motivated by this challenge that they put more into it than
47 they'd put into other projects. It's not quite the zero sum game the
48 above paragraph assumes. Find someone (or several someones) sufficiently
49 interested, and it grows the pie. One only has to look at the fantastic
50 and ever growing array of fine packages we have today to realize how true
51 that is, how big the pie is, only because one of the strengths of open
52 source is finding those folks and getting them interested, while at the
53 same time letting them "stand on the shoulders of giants." Really, I
54 believe that's why stuff like Gentoo/FBSD and Gentoo on XBox project, and
55 others, don't get shot down. Everyone realizes that while it might be
56 taking away perhaps 10-50% of the time invested from other things, the
57 other 50-90% is in many cases "growing the pie", investments that wouldn't
58 happen otherwise. I've watched the Gentoo/FBSD project grow from an
59 initial enquiry, and know even as it takes a bit of time from the "Gentoo
60 core" by some, it is just as certainly making Gentoo as a whole more
61 robust, strengthening it in only the way adapting it for other platforms
62 can do. The total *IS* really more than the sum of the parts, or neither
63 the FLOSS community in general nor Gentoo in particular would be where it
64 is today. Thus, if someone's really driven to work on a project, than by
65 all means...
66
67 Anyway, yes, it's an interesting idea. I hadn't thought of config
68 versioning in quite that way, before, tho I'm sure it's not an entirely
69 new concept (witness the ebuild format versioning so recently discussed,
70 and the versions of such things as the MIME format in the RFCs, before
71 that). If it stimulates someone with the skills to get into it, where
72 they wouldn't have spent the time otherwise, enlarging that pie, that's a
73 GOOD thing, and there are enough reading this list/group that it's
74 certainly possible. However, IMO, if it is to be done, ideally, it gets
75 done by new blood, or at least those sufficiently stimulated by the
76 prospect to devote significantly more time to it than they would have to
77 FLOSS or Gentoo otherwise, so it /is/ growing that pie, not splitting it
78 off into little segments.
79
80 FWIW...
85 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman in
86 http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2004/12/22/rms_interview.html
90 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list