From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: "Robin H. Johnson" <robbat2@g.o>
Cc: "Matija Šuklje" <matija@××××××.name>, Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>, "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>, gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>, licenses@g.o, qa <qa@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Solving the problem of huge number of wrong LICENSES=*GPL-[23]
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2018 02:55:54
1 >>>>> On Mon, 27 Aug 2018, Robin H Johnson wrote:
2
3 > I've been wondering if we can switch outright to using SPDX-based
4 > expressions inside our USE-flag conditionals.
5
6 > For the entries we have in licenses/ that are not presently covered by
7 > SPDX licenses or exceptions, we'll need additions*, but it will shrink
8 > the licenses directory significantly.
9
10 How so? We currently have 740 licenses, but only 18 named *exception*.
11 That's not much potential for saving, to start with.
12
13 > * We have some open-source exceptions & closed-source licenses that
14 > are not in SPDX
15
16 You've answered your own question. :-) The SPDX list has only incomplete
17 coverage. So in any case, we will need our own labels for a large
18 fraction of licenses.
19
20 Also, what would we do if a license is added to the SPDX list later, but
21 with a label different from ours? Do we change all our ebuilds then?
22 What if they change their label between versions of their standard?
23 They've just proven that their labels aren't guaranteed to be stable,
24 not even for major licenses like the GPL.
25
26 Ulrich