From: Peter Stuge <peter@×××××.se>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Lastrites: media-gfx/picasa, dev-python/papyon, net-voip/telepathy-butterfly, sci-visualization/paraview, x11-misc/xdaf
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2013 15:59:18
In Reply to: Re: [gentoo-dev] Lastrites: media-gfx/picasa, dev-python/papyon, net-voip/telepathy-butterfly, sci-visualization/paraview, x11-misc/xdaf by hasufell
1 hasufell wrote:
2 > there should only be two reasons to have ebuilds in a seperate
3 > overlay: they depend on dropped packages or they are unsupportable
4 > (e.g. because they are in early alpha stage or broken in some ways).
5
6 Keep in mind that there may be lots of other cases which you have not
7 and can not think of. Overlays are a wonderfully powerful way to
8 arbitrarily extend Gentoo. They make Gentoo infinitely more useful.
9
10 Anyway, in the case of my overlay, the reason that I have it is very
11 simple: me becoming a dev needs way too much effort.
12
13 It sounds like the sci overlay situation is the same.
14
15 I don't really mind this situation in practise, but Gentoo of course
16 loses. :\
19 //Peter