From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] policy for marking development branches of programs as stable?
Date: Sat, 19 Jul 2003 16:46:40
1 On Saturday 19 July 2003 18:17, Kurt Lieber wrote:
2 > I just noticed that mutt-1.5.4-r1 was marked stable on x86. The 1.5 branch
3 > of mutt is the development branch -- 1.4 is the stable branch, similar to
4 > the 2.4/2.5 kernel series.
5 >
6 > It seems wrong to me that we would mark development branches of software as
7 > stable. The mutt developers, who presumably know mutt much better than any
8 > of us do, don't feel 1.5 is stable -- who are we to disagree?
9 >
10 > Do we have some sort of policy for this? If not, can we make one?
11
12 I believe there is a policy, and, although deviation is allowed, I do believe
13 that in this case it is not appropriate. Deviation is more in case the latest
14 stable is ancient.
15
16 Paul
19 Paul de Vrieze