From: Matt Rickard <frogger@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Where to put prerelease vanilla kernels?
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2003 16:16:15
1 Portage currently does not contain any vanilla prerelease kernels (i.e.
2 2.4.22_pre7). Bug 25107 is a request for this, and it seems reasonable
3 to have these kernels in portage, since we have pretty much every other
4 kernel branch you could think of in there :)
5
6 I'm wondering what's the best way to handle these? First option is to
7 put them in vanilla-sources, for example,
8 vanilla-sources-2.4.22_pre7.ebuild. If we ~ mask them, people using the
9 unstable profile will get these prerelease kernels if merging
10 vanilla-sources. I'm not sure this is desired behavior, however, it IS
11 the unstable profile :) We could also package.mask them here, this
12 might emphasize the fact that they are not supported. However, _pre
13 kernels are generally quite stable, probably more so than many of the
14 other kernel branches we provide in portage.
15
16 Another option is to create a separate category for these, something
17 like pre-vanilla-sources. This has the benefit that people who want
18 vanilla will get only vanilla, and not a prerelease -- regardless of
19 which profile they are using.
20
21 Any comments or suggestions on this? I'm hoping for some kind of
22 consensus on where these should be put.
23
24 Thanks.
27 Matt Rickard
28 frogger@g.o