From: Eugenia Loli-Queru <eloli@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] KDM/KOffice problems (a bit more explanation)
Date: Mon, 08 Apr 2002 03:01:54
1 Hello again,
2 I would like to explain a bit more the problems I currently have reading KDM
3 and if someone knows how to solve this, please step reply. :)
4
5 I have installed the full KDE3 and also some KDE2 libraries as they were
6 needed by KOffice 1.1.1 and Krusader 1.0. So, the problem is that I can't
7 run any Display Manager for my users, only root can run them. I have told
8 rc.conf to DISPLAYMANAGER=KDM but that does not work _at all_. When I typing
9 startx, users only get the standard twm with the 3 xterms. When I type 'kdm'
10 manually in the command line, only root can load it. Any idea why this is
11 happening? Please note that when I am already on KDM as root, I can login as
12 'eugenia' via the kdm, it is just that when I am logging in to Gentoo in
13 general and typing startx, only twm comes up. That DISPLAYMANAGER variable
14 does not seem to work at all ! Any ideas?
15
16 Also, KOffice just DOES NOT work with Gentoo when KDE 3 is installed prior
17 to KDE 2. I would highly appreciate if you have a fix for this:
18
19 eugenia $ kspread
20 koffice (lib kofficecore): ERROR: Couldn't find the native MimeType in
21 kspread's desktop file. Check your installation !
22
23 This happens for all the users, including root.
24 I tried to find info about the error on the net, and some people suggested
25 to delete the ~/.kde dir or the ~/.kde/share/apps and then run the
26 'kbuildsycoca' script to rebuild the MIME types. NO JOY. None of the KOffice
27 1.1.1 apps work. :(
28
29 Thank you,
30 Eugenia