From: 320095285153-0001@t-online.de (Achim Gottinger)
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] first impressions
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 17:34:20
Guillaume Lefevre wrote:

> Hello, > > I've discovered gentoo a few days ago and it looks very promising, but > it's still very rought > on the edges, I havent completly switched to it but it's under process. > > A few comments: > 1) the CD image: > - an SMP kernel would be nice. > - missing gunzip links disables keyboard layout (nasty for non qwerty > users) and manpages
This issue is fixed
> > - install procedure on the cd > - md5sum of the iso image > 2) the ebuild system, it great! but: > - why linking to ftp.ibiblio.org as primary site?
Because the original locations do not keep older versions.
> > - when hordes of maniacs and fans will charge to it, it won't be > pretty :-) > - maybe a list of mirrors by continents?
Hmm not bad there could be a script that sorts this list in order of reachability.
> > - why java depends on x11, I need it for cocoon, I know I can edit > the script by hand, but...
Some of the java-libs in the package depend on X, we will have the possibility to build mulitiple subpackages from one ebuild, then such things can be separated. I'm currently fixing a few issues in apache/tomcat/cocoon here. Checkout from cvs in an hour an you don't need to configure anything besides adding "-DTOMCAT -DCOCOON" to the var HTTPD_OPTS in /etc/rc.d/init.d/httpd. you must run "ebuild apache... configure" "ebuild tomcat... configure" and things should be configured. The you can access the cocoon-examples on http://yourhost/cocoon/samples/index.xml
> > 3) willing to help on my spare time (between college and work): > - docs > - ebuild scripts > - php, sql, python
Fine :-)

Bye Achim