From: 320095285153-0001@t-online.de (Achim Gottinger)
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] first impressions
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 17:34:20
1 Guillaume Lefevre wrote:
2
3 > Hello,
4 >
5 > I've discovered gentoo a few days ago and it looks very promising, but
6 > it's still very rought
7 > on the edges, I havent completly switched to it but it's under process.
8 >
9 > A few comments:
10 > 1) the CD image:
11 > - an SMP kernel would be nice.
12 > - missing gunzip links disables keyboard layout (nasty for non qwerty
13 > users) and manpages
14
15 This issue is fixed
18 > - install procedure on the cd
19 > - md5sum of the iso image
20 > 2) the ebuild system, it great! but:
21 > - why linking to ftp.ibiblio.org as primary site?
22
23 Because the original locations do not keep older versions.
26 > - when hordes of maniacs and fans will charge to it, it won't be
27 > pretty :-)
28 > - maybe a list of mirrors by continents?
29
30 Hmm not bad there could be a script that sorts this list in order of
31 reachability.
34 > - why java depends on x11, I need it for cocoon, I know I can edit
35 > the script by hand, but...
36
37 Some of the java-libs in the package depend on X, we will have the
38 possibility to build mulitiple subpackages
39 from one ebuild, then such things can be separated.
40 I'm currently fixing a few issues in apache/tomcat/cocoon here. Checkout
41 from cvs in an hour an you don't need
42 to configure anything besides adding "-DTOMCAT -DCOCOON" to the var
43 HTTPD_OPTS in /etc/rc.d/init.d/httpd.
44 you must run "ebuild apache... configure" "ebuild tomcat... configure" and
45 things should be configured.
46 The you can access the cocoon-examples on
47 http://yourhost/cocoon/samples/index.xml
51 > 3) willing to help on my spare time (between college and work):
52 > - docs
53 > - ebuild scripts
54 > - php, sql, python
55