From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: kumba@g.o
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo Text Menu Installer Idea
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2003 12:50:44
1 On Tue, 2003-08-19 at 21:57, Kumba wrote:
2 > Since Gentoo's mantra is about choice, I think a menu-driven system
3 > could succeed, or supplement the command line interface, giving the user
4 > the choice of going either route. I've taken a brief look at the
5 > install manuals, and the basic steps taken are universally similar.
6 > Some differences are only in the fdisk setup (depending on your
7 > architecture), stage selections (like GRP and Portage's upcoming binary
8 > installing ability), and so on. It's really not until the end of the
9 > install, right around the kernel installation, where things change,
10 > mainly due to the bootloaders used, and final cleanup tasks and such.
11
12 I think a simple menu-based installer would easily be able to accomplish
13 these requirements, especially if we dropped a person to an editor to
14 make their changes to their respective bootloader, etc.
15
16 > Right now, this is just an idea. I would probably need to create a GLEP
17 > for it to get it more cemented, after some logistical ideas get worked
18 > out (like whether to use dialog, ncurses, or lsdialog, etc..). However,
19 > I think it's an overdue idea, and complete implementation of it will go
20 > a long way to making the install process easier for users. So let's
21 > start trading ideas on this.
22 >
23 > Debian's Installer can be found here (Source):
24 > http://cvs.debian.org/debian-installer
25 >
26 > FreeBSD's Sysinstall Source:
27 > http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/usr.sbin/sysinstall/
30 > So, Ideas, Thoughts, Comments......Flames?
31
32 Slackware's installer is also a good place to look. =]
35 Chris Gianelloni
36 Developer, Gentoo Linux