From: Matthew Kennedy <mkennedy@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o, gentoo-user@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] RFC: gentoo emacs elisp ebuilds
Date: Tue, 03 Sep 2002 02:00:08
1 http://www.gentoo.org/~mkennedy/emacs-packages.html
2
3 I would like to get people who use Emacs to comment on the above set
4 of emacs elisp ebuilds. These are being maintained outside of portage
5 until after Gentoo 1.4 is released.
6
7 The goal of this project is to greatly enhance the support of
8 Emacs/XEmacs in Gentoo's portage.
9
10 Points to note:
11
12 * eclasses/elisp.eclass -- especially the scheme for re-generating
13 the site-start.el file.
14 * the possibility of an /etc/emacs/site.el for site-wide config not
15 to be touched by portage (eg. sourced by site-start.el)
16 * the app-emacs category -- does it make sense
17 * thoughts on adding XEmacs support -- should we/how etc.
18 * how much configuration should be done by portage? eg. should we
19 just append to the load-path or should we go further and call
20 (require 'foo) etc.
21
22 I intend to release a new snapshot of app-emacs-*.tar.bz2
23 periodically, so be sure to check back at the above URL.
24
25 Thanks,
26
27 Matt