From: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wlt-ml@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Simple crude tool to bump packages ebuild-bumper.sh
Date: Thu, 01 Dec 2016 17:12:46
1 Do you find yourself with lots of related packages with the same version to
2 bump?
3 Do those package have a special order in which they need to be bumped?
4
5 If those sound like problems you run into, then I have a simple crude tool for
6 you called ebuild-bumper.sh[1]. A simple crude bash script that using an
7 external file that can bump many packages in a given order. This can save a
8 good deal of time on routine version bumps across many related packages of the
9 same version/slot.
10
11 This script uses external files[2] to specify the area of the tree, base name,
12 and packages in order to be revision bumped. At the same time it can clean
13 while it bumps, not recommended as it will break depgraph and cause it to
14 fail. However once you have bumped a set of packages. You can turn around and
15 re-run it to clean out older versions.
16
17 It is pretty nifty and can save time. If any bump fails, the script stops. So
18 you can manually intervene. Then you can resume bumping the rest of the
19 packages.
20
21 I chose bash to keep it simple, and I hate python, so not sure what other I
22 might have used. I do not believe it need be complex requiring use of other
23 languages but possibly. The package sort aspect for cleaning and what not
24 could be improved upon and done easier by other languages. Though sort is
25 pretty powerful if given proper arguments.
26
27 Anyway look it over, duplicate and make better if you like, or send me
28 patches, etc. Maybe eventually this can be adopted as an official Gentoo tool
29 and added to a developer toolkit. None of that matters to me really. I made it
30 to save myself time and address a problem I was facing. If it others find it
31 useful great :)
32
33 1. https://github.com/Obsidian-StudiosInc/ebuild-bumper
34 2. https://github.com/Obsidian-StudiosInc/ebuild-bumper/tree/master/bump_pkgs