From: Joonas Niilola <juippis@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Refactor display manager openrc init scripts to independent package
Date: Sat, 10 Oct 2020 12:00:41
1 On 10/10/20 1:57 PM, Aisha Tammy wrote:
2 > Hi all,
3 >   This change is for OpenRC init scripts only.
4 >   Currently the way our display managers are started, is by using the
5 > xdm init script present in the xorg-base/xorg-server package, with its
6 > script
7 > dependencies spread across four other packages, without any logical
8 > separation.
9 > This makes it so that every display manager needs the whole xorg-server
10 > package even if just for the init scripts.
11 > There are bugs open about this for a while to refactor the scripts out
12 > from
13 > xorg-server and into their own independent package, to make them easier
14 > to manage and modify
15 > - https://bugs.gentoo.org/730644
16 > - https://bugs.gentoo.org/356915
17 > The change is not just for the sake of closing bugs either.
18 > Given the recent number of huge additions in wayland, it is now possible
19 > to have a Xorg-free setup starting from the display manager.
20 > There are wayland-only display-managers available in gentoo
21 > - gui-apps/gtkgreet
22 > - gui-apps/tuigreet
23 >
24 > It should now be possible to start these display managers using openrc
25 > without pulling in Xorg.
26 >
27 > The changes are currently being worked on in the PR at
28 > https://github.com/gentoo/gentoo/pull/16554
29
30 +1 to separating xdm from xorg-server.
34 > Changes
35 >  - xdm init.d is replaced by display-manager init.d script
36
37 Why this rename? I can't find a reason for that.
40 >  - Configuration of display-manager is done similar to xdm by modifying
41 >     /etc/conf.d/display-manager
42 >  - Add display-manager to default runlevel and it should start working
43
44 My counter-proposal at this point would be to handle DMs similarily to
45 how it's done with systemd. In other words, every DM would provide their
46 own init and conf files (or, "service" files) and they'd be controlled
47 like that. I really see no point in renaming xdm to display-manager. xdm
48 to gdm, xdm to lightdm etc causes at least the same amount of confusion
49 and hassle, but would at least match the other init system. Then
50 swapping between openrc and systemd would be one step less difficult.
51
52 I have both openrc and systemd systems installed, and find the systemd
53 way a lot cleaner in this regard. What would other people think?
54
55 -- juippis
59 > Other changes, less relevant to everyday users
60 >  - boot parameter nox has been replaced by nogui
61 >  - usage of /etc/.nox has been removed in favor of /run/.nogui as the
62 > boot
63 >     parameter is a better controller
64 >
65 > Cheers,
66 > Aisha

OpenPGP_signature.asc application/pgp-signature