From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Python 2 pillow version needs help
Date: Wed, 01 Jul 2020 13:07:24
1 Hello, everyone.
2
3 Since there is apparently large interest in maintaining support
4 for Python 2 in Gentoo for some more time, I would like to request help
5 with Pillow.
6
7 Recently a number of vulnerabilities [1] have been reported against this
8 package. They're all fixed in 7.x which supports only Python 3.
9 The last Python 2 version (6.2.2) is certainly vulnerable to at least
10 some of them, and upstream doesn't seem to be actually maintaining it
11 (no commits to 6.2.x branch since January).
12
13 I've did a quick CI run [2] to determine how many packages still require
14 py2 pillow. These seem to be:
15
16 app-office/impressive (old version)
17 app-office/scribus (all non-live ebuilds, USE=scripts)
18 media-gfx/uniconvertor (all versions)
19 media-plugins/mythplugins (old version + py2 removal from new)
20 net-print/pkpgcounter (all versions)
21 sci-libs/scipy (old versions)
22 sci-libs/scipy-python2 (all versions)
23
24 This means major trouble, as it would mean removing all scipy py2
25 revdeps.
26
27 If you wish for these packages to stay, please help out, determine which
28 CVEs affect pillow 6.x and prepare backports of relevant patches. TIA.
31 [1] https://bugs.gentoo.org/729672
32 [2] https://github.com/gentoo/gentoo/pull/16520
35 Best regards,
36 Michał Górny