From: "Andreas K. Huettel" <dilfridge@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Cc: licenses@g.o, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Guidance on distributed patented software
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2021 15:26:00
1 Am Montag, 20. September 2021, 19:27:37 CEST schrieb Rich Freeman:
2 > On Mon, Sep 20, 2021 at 12:46 PM Alec Warner <antarus@g.o> wrote:
3 > > Could we add some text to the license concepts covering patents? It
4 > > seems to have been omitted?
5 > > Is my understanding of how we manage patented software correct?
6 >
7 > I think you have the gist of it. Is there actually anything in the
8 > repo these days which is patent-encumbered?
9
10 media-libs/openh264 for example
11
12 (It right now prevents me from building firefox and chromium for the
13 experimental binary package hosting [1], since I blanket mask everything with
14 bindist restriction. That is likely a bit of overkill, it would be enough to
15 not make any binary package from it (which ends up being distributed), but
16 that function needs to still be programmed in portage.)
17
18 [1] Blog post with details coming soon. Please wait for it before asking
19 questions.
22 Andreas K. Hüttel
23 dilfridge@g.o
24 Gentoo Linux developer
25 (council, qa, toolchain, base-system, perl, libreoffice)