From: Matt Turner <mattst88@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Lastrite: media-gfx/pngcrush
Date: Sat, 08 Oct 2011 21:47:07
1 On Sat, Oct 8, 2011 at 10:20 AM, Markos Chandras <hwoarang@g.o> wrote:
2 > On 10/08/2011 02:19 PM, Matt Turner wrote:
3 >> On Sat, Oct 8, 2011 at 4:47 AM, Samuli Suominen
4 >> <ssuominen@g.o> wrote:
5 >>> # Samuli Suominen <ssuominen@g.o> (08 Oct 2011) # Fails to
6 >>> compile against system libpng15, bug 356127 # Removal in 14 days
7 >>
8 >> 14 days?
9 >>
10 >>> media-gfx/pngcrush
11 >>
12 > We can't really wait forever for slacking maintainers to fix their
13 > packages. amd64 is almost ready to have libpng-1.5 stable in the very
14 > near future
15
16 Two things:
17
18 1) I'm *really* tired of the usage of the word "slacking" on this
19 mailing list. If you or someone else wants to pay me to work on
20 Gentoo, *then* you can tell me that I'm slacking. Otherwise, I'm a
21 volunteer working on things that interest me in my free time. I truly
22 do have more important things to do than to figure out how to port
23 pngcrush to libpng1.5. Namely, graduate school and midterm exams.
24
25 2) What exactly is it that you want me to do here? Upstream is aware
26 of the problem, and seems to be working on it as there are comments
27 about libpng15 in pngcrush.c. Hanno kindly stepped in and made
28 pngcrush use a bundled libpng14 (and at the same time bundled zlib,
29 which has now been fixed), which you promptly masked. I'm not sure if
30 the problem is bundled libs in general or specifically zlib, but we
31 *know* it's distasteful. It's not like that's a preferred or permanent
32 solution. Do you find that somehow more distasteful than removing a
33 piece of software from from portage that's been in the tree since
34 2002?