From: Matt Turner <mattst88@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Lastrite: media-gfx/pngcrush
Date: Sat, 08 Oct 2011 21:47:07
On Sat, Oct 8, 2011 at 10:20 AM, Markos Chandras <hwoarang@g.o> wrote:
> On 10/08/2011 02:19 PM, Matt Turner wrote: >> On Sat, Oct 8, 2011 at 4:47 AM, Samuli Suominen >> <ssuominen@g.o> wrote: >>> # Samuli Suominen <ssuominen@g.o> (08 Oct 2011) # Fails to >>> compile against system libpng15, bug 356127 # Removal in 14 days >> >> 14 days? >> >>> media-gfx/pngcrush >> > We can't really wait forever for slacking maintainers to fix their > packages. amd64 is almost ready to have libpng-1.5 stable in the very > near future
Two things: 1) I'm *really* tired of the usage of the word "slacking" on this mailing list. If you or someone else wants to pay me to work on Gentoo, *then* you can tell me that I'm slacking. Otherwise, I'm a volunteer working on things that interest me in my free time. I truly do have more important things to do than to figure out how to port pngcrush to libpng1.5. Namely, graduate school and midterm exams. 2) What exactly is it that you want me to do here? Upstream is aware of the problem, and seems to be working on it as there are comments about libpng15 in pngcrush.c. Hanno kindly stepped in and made pngcrush use a bundled libpng14 (and at the same time bundled zlib, which has now been fixed), which you promptly masked. I'm not sure if the problem is bundled libs in general or specifically zlib, but we *know* it's distasteful. It's not like that's a preferred or permanent solution. Do you find that somehow more distasteful than removing a piece of software from from portage that's been in the tree since 2002?

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-dev] Lastrite: media-gfx/pngcrush Markos Chandras <hwoarang@g.o>